This qualification will equip you with entry-level skills and knowledge to assist workers within the engineering industry. This course is perfect if you’re currently studying in high school or a recent school leaver. You will gain an introduction to the engineering industry and build foundation skills and knowledge to prepare you for an apprenticeship or traineeship.
This is a VET in School (VETiS) Program (QLD residents only). Students can undertake VET at school:
- As part of their school studies where it is delivered and resource by a school registered training (RTO)
- By enrolling directly to Intech
- As a school-based apprentice or trainee
See eligibility requirements under funded programs.
This qualification may be accessed by direct entry.
While there are no formal entry requirements, it is expected that students have basic Language, Literacy and Numeracy skills.
QLD Domestic Students may be eligible to enrol through VETiS (subject to eligibility requirements).
To be eligible for a VETiS program, you must be:
- Currently enrolled in Year 10, 11 or 12 and attending school
- Permanently reside in QLD
- An Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian Permanent Resident
QUALIFICATION STRUCTURE AND RULES
To be awarded the MEM10119 Certificate I in Engineering, the following units of competency must be achieved.
MEM13015 Work safely and effectively in manufacturing and engineering
PLUS ELECTIVE UNITS:
MEM07032 Use workshop machines for basic operations
MEM11011 Undertake manual handling
MEM12023 Perform engineering measurements
MEM16006 Organise and communicate information
MEM18001 Use hand tools
MEM18002 Use power tools/hand held operations
INTERNSHIP/ ON-THE-JOB WORK PLACEMENTS:
Students are encouraged to seek industry work placement to gain the maximum benefit from the course. This is an opportunity to not only apply and practice the skills acquired in a formal work environment, but to improve their capabilities. As a result, the student will not only meet but exceed their learning outcomes.
InTech may assist in securing industry work placements – Conditions apply.
Domestic Students (Full-Time)
As a domestic student, you will attend face-to-face classes and practical workshops, Monday to Friday, on Intech campus. Compulsory 75% attendance is required.
VET in School Students
Students completing this course in their school are required to attend face-to-face classes and workshops on school premises.
Students attending full-time classes will receive handouts/learning material relevant to each unit, safety boots and Intech t-shirt on induction day.
We recommend students wear personal protective equipment suited to the engineering industry.
On induction /orientation day, students will receive:
- Overview of each unit of competency
- Methods of assessment
- Student handbook
- Training plan and schedule
- Internship details and journal
- Job placement logbooks
- Textbooks and study materials
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) overview
- Work placement support
Recognition of Prior Learning is a process of having your work experience and skills formally assessed for the purpose of gaining a nationally recognised and accredited qualification. InTech offers you the chance to transfer your skills and experience and turn it into a Certificate I in Engineering!
Candidates can demonstrate their skills through a combination of:
- Portfolio of Evidence
- Prior qualification (accredited and non-accredited)
- Employment history (detailed, positions, performance, appraisals)
- Work samples and other relevant documents (photos, videos, etc.)
- References and testimonials from verifiable sources
- Journals and publications
- Practical testing in the workshop or classroom (if necessary)
- Written/verbal testing (if necessary)
Apply for RPL or Credit Transfer today!
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHWAYS:
- Engineering Apprenticeship
- Engineering Traineeship
- General employment in engineering related workplace
Domestic Students (Full-Time)
This qualification is funded by the Queensland Government under VET in School (VETiS).
Students currently enrolled in high school in Years 10, 11 or 12 can undertake this qualification under the VET in School program. VETiS is fully funded and is fee-free for high students.
Ready to get started?
Fill out an application above or see our How to Apply section for further guidance.
If you require assistance, our dedicated student advisors can help you with any questions you have about the application and enrolment process.
Students are advised to make an appointment to speak to a career counselor for advice on programs, learning pathways and career outcomes.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be awarded with the Certificate I in Engineering. This qualification is nationally recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). Check www.training.gov.au
Further Progression: Students can progress onto the next level of qualification within the college.
We offer the following qualifications:
- MEM20413 Certificate II in Engineering Pathways
- or other relevant qualifications
Credits may also include units of competency contained within relevant skill sets and statements of attainment.