student information - international students








Brisbane (QLD), Sydney (NSW)

The following Student Information has been prepared as a resource to assist you with information about the services provided by InTech Institute of Technology and our approach to providing you a safe, fair and supported environment to undertake your training.

Please read the Student Information thoroughly so you are aware of your rights and responsibilities as a student and understand the policies and procedures at InTech Institute of Technology.

We look forward to supporting your educational journey with us to reach your career and study goals!

International students enrolling in primary courses should check the CRICOS register for the course they wish to study. Intech has a number of courses available for international students – these are listed on the CRICOS register.

Use the following link to check the validity and registration status of Intech courses for International Students.

Note: You can enquire about a package of more than 1 course – fee discounts may apply.

Click below to see our packaged courses on offer: 

English Requirements

 There are minimum English Proficiency requirements for all VET courses. Please check the courses page on the website to find out more on the English Requirements.  There are also Language, Literacy and Numeracy requirements for students who wish to pursue certain courses.  Students from selected countries are exempt from the English requirements.

English Language requirements for International students – An English Language proficiency level of one of the following:

For Academic Courses:

  • IELTS band score of 5.5 (academic test version) or;
  • TOEFL PBT score of 530 or;
  • TOEFL CBT score of 197 or;
  • TOEFL IBT  overall  score  71  ( No band  less  than  70) or;
  • equivalent internationally recognised exam result in line with Department of Home Affairs.

Satisfactory completion of 6 – 12 weeks of Upper Intermediate level course in English for further study – this can be studied at InTech.

Trade Based Courses:

  • An IELTS of 5.5 or Equivalent or 6 Weeks of English for Further Study.

If you are an international student wishing to come to Australia to study you are required to have a valid student visa for the type of study you wish to pursue.

As an international student on a student visa, you must study with an institution and in a course that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and the institution at which you study meet the high standards expected by international students.

Along with the ESOS Act and National Code, there are also regulatory and quality assurance organisations for Vocational Education and Training (VET) institutions. For VET – Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) at

Use the following link to check the validity and registration status of Intech courses for International Students.

Note: You can enquire about a package of more than 1 course – fee discounts may apply.

International Student Visa Conditions

If you are granted a student visa, you must abide by certain conditions including (but not limited to):

  • Full-time study
  • You are expected to complete your course within the time specified in your electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE).
  • Achieve satisfactory academic progress, Intech Institute is required to report unsatisfactory academic progress to the Department of Home Affairs.
  • An Australian Government-approved Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of your visa.
  • Study with Intech Institute for at least six months, or the duration of the course if shorter than six months
  • Notifying Intech Institute of your address in Australia and any subsequent change of address within five working days.

Your student visa permits you to work:

  • up to a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during the academic term
  • unlimited hours during vacations

For more information about permission to work while studying, please check the Department of Home Affairs website.


Cost of Living

The average cost per month on rent, telephone, electricity and food is about $1500.00 per month.

The Department of Home Affairs has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa. Below is a guide on the requirements you must meet to study in Australia:

  • You– $22000.00
  • Your partner– $6,515
  • Your first child– $3,720
  • Every other child– $2,790

All costs are per year in Australian dollars.

Information sourced from:


As an international student, you are responsible for your own day-to-day living costs. These costs can vary enormously from one student to another. Use the below information as a guide to see what expenses you might be exposed to:

  • Shared Rental – $95 to $215 per week
  • Homestay – $235 to $325 per week
  • Rental – $185 to $440 per week

Information sourced from:

Useful accommodation websites:

Other student living expenses (approx):

  • Groceries and dining out – $140 to $280 per week
  • Gas, electricity – $10 to $20 per week
  • Phone and Internet – $15 to $30 per week
  • Public transport – $30 to $60 per week
  • Car (after purchase) – $150 to $260 per week
  • Entertainment – $80 to $150 per week

Information sourced from:

For up-to-date figures, click here.

The Insider Guides Cost of Living Calculator is a useful tool to help estimate the average cost of living or other expenses you might encounter while studying in Australia.

Other Costs that may be associated with your travel to Australia

  • Australian visa application and associated test costs
  • Additional visa applications (work permit etc)
  • Transport to Australia
  • Travel to and from campus
  • Travel to and from placement facilities.
  • Daily living expenses
  • Off-campus excursions
  • Stationery (books, pens, photocopying etc)
  • Applicable textbooks
  • Supplementary Assessments (if applicable, conditions apply)
  • Re-attendance of classes (if Fail)
  • Replacement study guides or program learning materials
  • Students are advised to keep their receipts regarding education expenses for taxation purposes (if applicable)
  • Work experience may be unpaid – therefore students will need to balance their finance and paid work time.

Once you’ve decided on a course to study, you would be required to fill in an online application form and submit it to InTech. The application form is available on the InTech website or email or you may use one of InTech’s Education Agents.

Required Documentation

You will need to prepare supporting documentation to send with your application. The documents vary depending on the course, provider and qualification you’re studying for. The most important documents include:

  • Certificates that verify your previous study, including qualifications you already have.
  • Evidence of your English language proficiency.
  • Certificates or documents which verify previous study or work experience if you are seeking course credits. These must be translated into English.
  • Your English Proficiency Skills
  • Australian Medical Insurance (if you already have a scheme)
  • A copy of your passport

Letter of Offer

If your application is successful, you will receive a ‘Letter of Offer’. To confirm your offer you must respond to this letter by signing and sending an acceptance and formalization of offer back to InTech. This can be done by mail or, by scanning and emailing the letter.

The Letter of Offer is a contract between you and InTech. It sets out the course you will be enrolled in, enrolment conditions, start and end date of your chosen course, the fees you need to pay, and the refund payable if you don’t complete your course with that provider. This contract is very important – if you don’t start your course, or finish your course, this written agreement will be used to determine if you will receive a refund.


  • Read the Letter of Offer carefully before you accept it.
  • Make sure that you understand all your rights, including the refund arrangements.
  • Do not accept the Letter of Offer if you are not happy with any of its terms.
  • Keep a copy of the Letter of Offer. You will need this copy so that you are aware of your rights and if you have to make a claim.

Confirmation of Enrolment (COE)

After you have accepted your Offer and paid your deposit, InTech will send you an ‘Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) by email. This will outline your course start date, total course fees and how long your course will run for. You will need this document to apply for your student visa or if you are on a student visa this will inform the Australian Government – Department of Home Affairs that you are enrolled in a course of study.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It will help you pay for medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia; it will also contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency. When studying in Australia, you will need OSHC for yourself, and any family travelling with you before you arrive. It is a requirement of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.

Once you have been accepted to study at an institution and have received confirmation of your student visa, the next step is to start planning for your arrival.

Here is a checklist to help you plan your departure:

  • Passport and Visa– Check that your passport is valid for at least 6 months prior to your entry arrival in Australia, and that you have all your visa documentation. It is also a good idea to make copies of your passport in case you lose your passport.
  • Student enrolment and orientation documents– You will need your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) and student information pack, which you will have received from your institution.
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)– This is a requirement for entry to Australia, so make sure you have your health cover policy arranged before you leave home.
  • Travel Insurance– You should also consider travel insurance, which covers things your OSHC may not – such as cancelled flights, lost documents, dental or optical care, etc.
  • Airfares– Make sure you are aware of the date and time of your flight. Keep your flight details in a safe and secure place, with your passport and visa.
  • Contact details– You may want to have a list of emergency contact details for family, as well as your embassy, accommodation and institution details. If you have used an education agent, keep their contact details on you, in case you need to contact them once you arrive in Australia.
  • Australian currency– There are money exchange places available at Australian airports and in cities, but it is recommended to have some Australian currency on you prior to leaving your home country.
  • Transport from the airport– Whether you are taking public transport, a taxi, or you are being picked up from the airport by your education provider, it is important that you have all the details including the time, the route and, if your travel has been arranged by your institution, their contact details. If you need a map to assist you in getting to your accommodation from the airport, they will be available at the airport, or you can print one prior to leaving.
  • Accommodation details– Make sure you have the address of where you will be staying as well as their phone number and payment confirmation (if you have already paid for your accommodation).

Australian Customs and Border Protection

You need to be aware of what you cannot bring into Australia and therefore what you should not pack. It is illegal to carry drugs including marijuana, cannabis, heroin, cocaine and amphetamines in and out of Australia. There are a number of items that you must declare upon your arrival in Australia including:

  • Firearms, weapons and ammunition.
  • Currency amounts of A$10,000 (or foreign equivalent).
  • Some medicines.
  • Certain Food items, Plants, Wood, Animals etc.

Australian Quarantine Services

Please be aware as to what you may bring into Australia from overseas. Best to visit to see what you are bringing will be allowed into Australia.

No live animals and plants, plant material, animal products and some food from overseas. It’s important to remember that when you’re packing to not bring fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, poultry, pork, eggs, nuts, dairy goods and live plants and seeds, as they will not be allowed into Australia.

You may be fined for any breach to these conditions.

Declare IT

You will be given an Incoming Passenger Card before you arrive in Australia. This is a legal document.

You must mark YES on your card to declare if you are carrying certain food, plant material or animal products. You can take these declared items with you to the clearance point where they will be assessed by a departmental officer.

On arrival your baggage may be assessed by x-ray, detector dog or inspected by a departmental officer. If you fail to declare or dispose of any biosecurity risk items, or make a false declaration:

  • you will be caught
  • you could be fined up to $340 on-the-spot, or
  • you could be prosecuted, fined more than $66000 and risk 10 years jail and a criminal record.

You will not be penalised if ALL items are declared, even if they are not allowed into Australia.

You must check the Department of Agriculture – Biosecurity for more info:

There are a number of steps you must go through including:

  • Deciding on your preferred course.
  • Submitting your application to InTech.
  • Receiving and accepting a Letter of Offer from InTech.
  • Receiving your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).
  • Applying for your student visa.
  • Arriving for study once visa granted

There is a range of entry requirements that you will need to meet both for your chosen course and your visa application. This can include:

  • Academic requirements.
  • English language requirements.
  • Evidence of funds to support your study.
  • Overseas student health cover.

If you’re already living or working in Australia, you may still be able to apply to study here as an international student.

If you don’t meet the entry requirements to get into the course you want in Australia, InTech may be able to assist you to reach your goal. This may include studying at InTech in English language preparation or studying a vocational education and training course in Business, Information Technology or Engineering.

InTech currently has advanced standing with a number of universities where students who complete an InTech course may get credit for up to 1 year of university study.  

Some of our InTech pathway programs have been ongoing since the year 2002. Please send an email query on the proposed course and university pathway program.

You can find up to date fees and charges information in the course outline for your course on the InTech website Fees and charges specific to your course will be shown in a written agreement that will we send to you with a letter of offer once your application has been accepted.

You will receive a tax invoice for the amount you are required to pay. The Tax invoice will provide you with InTech’s nominated account for payments of fees held in advance. You can pay your fees by direct bank transfer. All prepaid fees are protected in line with the requirements of the VET Quality Framework that legislates the provision of training and assessment in Australia and with the ESOS Framework that regulates the standards for the provision of Education to International students.

Course fees include all administration, materials and tuition fees.  Any optional textbooks or materials that may be recommended but are not required for completion of the course are not included in the course fees. Course fees also include up to 2 attempts at assessment per unit.  However, if after these attempts you have not passed, you will either be issued with a Statement of Attainment for the parts of the course that you have passed or to gain the full qualification, you will be required to re-sit the part of the course that the assessment relates to and pay a re-sit fee.

Different charges will be levied for a person applying for RPL. 

InTech reserves the right to withhold granting the award attained by the student, if student fees remain outstanding. InTech’s dispute resolution processes do not circumscribe the student’s rights to pursue other legal remedies. Refer to the student Complaints and Appeals Procedure in the Student Handbook if you wish to appeal the Refund Policy.

Adjustment of Course Duration and Fees

As a result of successful credit transfer and RPL being granted – students may have a reduced course fee and course duration.

Students who have learning difficulties or personal hardships may take a longer duration as suggested in training plan. These would be assessed on a case by case basis.

Students who require specialist assistance – where that assistance is sought from a 3rd party – independent of the college – will be charged to the student. These charges will be made known to the student prior to the services being provided.

The InTech orientation program provides students with important and valuable information and assistance. All students are scheduled for an orientation program at the start of the course program.

These include:

  • Campus information student services
  • Introduction to staff
  • Medical insurance membership
  • Opening bank accounts
  • Academic issues including course attendance and progress requirements which leads to student visa relating issues
  • Compliance and appeals policy and process
  • Purchasing textbooks
  • Public and Private Transport details
  • Contact details for services such as doctors, police or emergency and legal service
  • Lifeline
  • How to make complaints
  • Your attendance and progress obligations
  • Address Details change
  • Important Policies and Procedures
  • Support Services – Meet Student Welfare Officer
  • Uniforms and textbooks
  • Student Starter Kit
  • Tertiary Transport Concession Card
  • InTech student Identity card
  • How to apply for Unique Student Identifier (USI)

Learning outcomes/competency units may be assessed as a group or separately and may include any of the following methods: Oral presentation, written tasks, projects, job tasks, assignments, written exams, practical exercises, observations, multiple-choice questions, true and false questions, portfolio, workplace evidence.

Students in general are assessed in the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector for each element of competency addressed as “C” (Competent )or “NYC” (Not Yet Competent).  A student who does not meet the course progress must be reported to the Department of Home Affairs for failure to meet course progress.

A student is unable to repeat a failed subject more than once. When an international student does not meet satisfactory academic performance, he/she will be reported to the Department of Home Affairs as per the Course Progress Policy.

Students who have received a result of “NYC” (not yet competent) in any subject should contact the Head of Studies to organise for another assessment as soon as possible.

Furthermore, students are not allowed to extend their course to complete subjects for which they have received an “NYC”. All units for which students have received NYC should be attempted and passed before the course end date.

Students are able to appeal the recording of an ‘NYC’ for any competency unit or learning outcome provided they had good attendance for that subject and had reasonable participation in all assessments. Students are responsible to follow up on their failing grades.

Many international students are allowed to work, although some visas have limited work rights. It’s important that you understand the limitations of your visa before seeking work.

What is the job market like in Australia?

There are a wide range of jobs available for international students in Queensland and New South Wales. To learn more about which job suits you best, visit the Australian Government Job Outlook website.  This website contains valuable information on thousands of jobs including:

  1. Job prospects
  2. Weekly earnings
  3. Occupation size
  4. Skills and qualifications needed
  5. Job vacancies.

Earning while Studying

If you are a student visa holder, you and your dependant family members have permission to work included with your visa.

Your student visa permits you to work:

  • up to a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during the academic term
  • unlimited hours during vacations

For more information about permission to work while studying, please check the Department of Home Affairs website.

Fair Work Ombudsman gives you information and advice about your workplace rights and obligations.

How can I prepare myself for a job?

There are a number of training programs outlined below that can help prepare international students to successfully gain a job.

  1. Internships
    An internship is a pre-professional work experience that provides international students, recent graduates, and those seeking to change careers with the opportunity to gain experience in a particular career field.  Professional Internships are sought by Government agencies and/or major corporations generally to up-skill and/or enhance staff performance. The internships fields sought are generally where Australia is recognised as a market leader or where there is intent to gain business understanding or future business cooperation.

  2. Vocational placement
    Vocational placement is where an international student is placed in a workplace to receive practical training and experience that is required under, and is an assessable part of, a student’s course, leading to the issuing of a qualification or statement of attainments.

  3. Work experience
    Work experience assists international students in their transition from school to work. It provides a formal arrangement whereby international students participate in activities at a place of paid or voluntary work. Students may undertake work sampling, work shadowing, research work experience and structured work placement. At all times, the educational value of the program for any student should be the prime consideration.

  4. Volunteering
    Volunteer work is a great way to learn valuable real-world skills and give back to the greater community.

Visit one of the following job search engines:

Student Work Rights and Obligations

Australia has strict laws relating to employment conditions. These apply to anyone working in Australia, including international students. They cover a wide range of topics including:

  • the minimum amount you must get paid
  • your taxation and superannuation obligations
  • safety at your place of employment
  • what work you can do
  • unfair treatment in the workplace.

Information for workers about pay, tax, your employment rights and what to do if there is a problem is available from the Government’s employment website.

There are many consumer protection and support services available for international students. This includes services provided directly by InTech as well as those provided by a range of state, territory and federal government departments.

Student Protection

The Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO) investigates complaints about problems that overseas students have with private education and training institutions in Australia. The Ombudsman’s services are free, independent and impartial. You can find out more about this service on their website:

Below is a list of the Ombudsman websites for all states and territories in Australia:

Tuition Protection Protection

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist you if your institution (referred to as ‘Education Provider’ under the TPS) is unable to fully deliver your course of study. The TPS may also assist you if you have withdrawn from, or not started, your course and are eligible for a refund of tuition fees and the institution has not paid them.

The TPS will make ensure that you are able to either:

  • Complete your studies in another course or with another institution, or
  • Receive a refund of your unspent tuition fees.

Under the Tuition Protection Service international students have a number of rights and obligations. Visit the TPS website

Consumer Protection

The Australian Consumer Law includes a national law guaranteeing consumer rights when buying goods and services. You should contact the relevant government trade and consumer agency in your state or territory, if you:

  • Would like information about your consumer rights.
  • Have a problem with a consumer good or service that you have bought or are considering buying.
  • Would like to know how a business should behave under the law.
  • Would like to make a complaint about a business.

International students need not feel alone in a foreign country. InTech cares about the needs of our students and takes the highest care in making sure they settle in the learning and living environment as soon as possible. 

We are dedicated to continuously improving our services to meet the needs and expectations of our international students and our friendly staff are on hand to give advice. Student Support Services helps to resolve problems that may impede the successful completion of student’s study programs. This includes student services such as:

  • Language and academic support.
  • Confidential counselling
  • Designated international student advisers.
  • On-arrival reception and orientation programs.
  • Childcare, health and counselling.
  • Student accommodation.
  • Employment services.
  • Prayer and worships rooms.
  • Banking, shopping and food outlets.
  • Clubs, societies, sport and fitness facilities.

All services offered internal to the college are free. Students may have to pay for professional services rendered by persons outside the college staff.  Students will be made aware of these external charges and if they wish to proceed with the external services.

Disability Support

Australia has laws that protect individuals from discrimination in many areas of public life, including education. A person with a disability has just as much right to study as any other student. This means that institutions cannot:

  • Refuse admission on the basis of disability.
  • Accept a student with a disability on less favourable terms than other students (for example, asking for higher fees).
  • Deny or limit access to a student with a disability (for example, not allowing access to excursions, or having inaccessible student common rooms or lecture facilities)
  • At present InTech has limited access for wheelchairs – however, this restriction is in the process of being rectified.

Emergency Matters

  • Contact details – 000
  • Service details – Life-threatening situations, such as a car crash or a fire.

Local police – Non-urgent Matters

  • Contact details– Call 131 444 (everywhere except Victoria). In Victoria, you need to call your local police station (consult your local Telephone Directory)
  • Service details– Police attendance for non-urgent matters.


  • Contact details – 13 11 14
  • Service details– Lifeline provides crisis support, suicide prevention and mental health support services across Australia. These can include stresses from work, family or society and physical and mental wellbeing. Lifeline offers support services by phone or through their online chat available on their website.

Kids Helpline

  • Contact details – 1800 551 800
  • Service details – If you’re between 5 and 25 and you’re feeling depressed, worried, sad, angry or confused about things like your studies personal relationships, Kids Helpline offers free 24 hour, 7 day telephone counseling support (anonymous if you prefer).

Poison Information Centre

  • Contact details – 131 126
  • Service details – Provides advice on the management, assessment and treatment of poisonous products including non-prescription pharmaceuticals, household and industrial chemicals, and plant and animal venom.

 Sexual Assault Counselling Service

  • Contact details – Search online for ‘rape crisis centre’ in your home state
  • Service details – If you, or anyone you know, has experienced or is at risk of sexual assault, call one of the state-based sexual assault counseling services. These provide a free 24 hour, 7 day a week telephone counseling service (anonymous if you prefer). Many are connected to hospitals or government health departments to help you if the assault has left you with injuries

Foreign Embassies in Australia

Please check the Department of Foreign Affairs Website in Australia for the most recent contact details.

As a student, you have a right to:

  • Learn in a safe, supportive environment without harassment or discrimination.
  • Be informed of all assessment procedures as well as results from those assessments.
  • Lodge a complaint without being victimized

 As a student you also have a responsibility to:

  • Be a genuine/bonafide student.
  • Attend class and progress in your course.
  • Be honest in assessments.
  • Treat other students and InTech College staff with respect and fairness.
  • Obey reasonable directions from trainers and staff.
  • Not to behave in a way that could threaten, offend or embarrass others.
  • Pay fees as scheduled.
  • Follow safe working practices, including wearing footwear and using safety equipment where necessary.
  • Obey all rules and regulations as directed by the college

Responsibilities Of Intech

InTech recognises the importance of providing a safe and healthy environment in which to work and learn. We aim to achieve a high level of occupational health, safety and security by adhering to government legislation and taking a personal interest in the wellbeing of our students, employees, contractors and visitors.

InTech complies with the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 and with individual state-based legislation where such legislation is still enforced.

If at any time a trainer, employer or student feels that the training is being conducted in an unsafe manner or environment they must halt the training immediately.

If any person feels that insufficient notice is being taken of safety during the training they must also inform the Student Support Officer as soon as practicable.

Responsibilities of Intech

  • Provide and maintain equipment and systems of work that are safe and without risk to health
  • Provide information, instruction, training and supervision that ensures the health and safety of employees and contractors
  • Maintain their workplace in a safe condition, including entrances and exits
  • Ensure the health and safety of visitors to the workplace

Responsibilities of Staff & Contractors

  • Cooperate with InTech in their efforts to maintain the required level of health and safety
  • Not misuse or interfere with anything provided in the interests of health and safety
  • Take responsible care of the health and safety of others.
  • Not refuse a reasonable request to assist in giving aid or preventing a risk to health and safety.

Responsibilities of Employers

  • Provide and maintain safe plant (such as machinery and equipment) and safe systems of work (such as controlling entry to high-risk areas, controlling work pace and frequency and providing systems to prevent falls from heights)
  • Implement arrangements for the safe use, handling, storage and transport of chemicals (such as dangerous goods and other harmful materials)
  • Maintain the workplace in a safe condition (such as ensuring fire exits are not blocked, emergency equipment is serviceable, and the worksite is generally tidy)
  • Provide workers and contractors with adequate facilities (such as clean toilets, cool and clean drinking water, and hygienic eating areas)
  • Make sure workers have adequate information, instruction, training and supervision to work in a safe and healthy manner
  • Provide adequate information about any research and tests of substances used at work

Responsibilities of Students

  • During training sessions or while in the workplace or classroom, students have the responsibility to take reasonable care for their own health and safety and the safety of others who might be affected by their actions.
  • Students must cooperate with their employer and/or trainer when they are taking action to improve health and safety or to meet their WHS obligations under current legislation.
  • Students must follow safety policies and procedures, participate in any WHS training, follow the advice given and use the safety equipment supplied.

InTech programs promote democratic principles in the classroom through our training and assessment practices, which include a commitment to fair treatment to all in-class discussions which value freedom of speech, tolerance of the views of others and open communication.

The InTech Student Code of Conduct provides a framework for student behaviour to ensure the safety, comfort and wellbeing of all within the college community through respectful and appropriate behaviour.

The InTech Code of Conduct primarily applies to all students involved in our pre-vocational or publicly offered courses within any of our registered training sites.

We Require You To:

  • Respect yourself and others; harassment, bullying, physical or verbal assault will not be tolerated
  • Behave appropriately; ensure your actions and words support learning and teaching
  • Mobile phones must be switched to silent; texts, social networking, games and calls are to be done in allocated breaks ONLY. Additionally, the use of headphones is class is not
  • Adhere to site-specific and all regulatory Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) requirements
  • Respect the property of the college community; do not damage or remove property from college premises
  • No skateboarding on any college premises
  • Produce and/or verify your identification if/when requested by college staff
  • Not smoke in the ‘NO SMOKING’ areas
  • Persons taking medication to be aware of medicinal side effects, and not to combine with anything that can place themselves or others at risk
  • When attending placement students must behave in a manner that reflects the college mission and
  • Always act in a manner that aligns to the code of conduct principals at all times and when liaising with Trainers, college Operational Staff, other students and student

We Strictly Do Not Allow:

  • Illegal drugs; or anyone under their influence on the premises
  • Filming or recording of any kind in our classrooms or our training venues
  • Alcohol; or anyone under their influence on the premises. Exceptions are made with prior permission from the General Manager.

Breaches of the InTech Student Code of Conduct may result in disciplinary action according to InTech policies and procedures. This can include student removal from InTech courses; additionally, ANY and ALL illegal activities will be referred to the police.

InTech appreciates all efforts to create a positive and harmonious learning environment. If you do not understand or need further direction in relation to these requirements, please discuss this with your Trainer.

Student Selection

Students will not be denied access to services where they are deemed eligible for such a service and where the organisation has the appropriate resources to provide high-quality services.

Students will be individually interviewed and assessed on their eligibility for the service being provided. The selection process will comply with equal opportunity legislation.


InTech aims to provide a work and training environment for staff and students that embraces equity, fairness and respect for social and cultural diversity. InTech takes a zero-tolerance approach to unlawful discrimination, harassment and vilification as determined by legislation.

InTech encourages individuals with disabilities to participate in all training courses and will discuss with both the trainee and the employer any reasonable adjustments that may be required for the delivery and assessment of our training programs based on individual needs.

We aim to:

  • Foster a culture that values and responds to diversity
  • Provide equal employment opportunity by identifying and removing barriers to participation and progression in education, training and employment for all employees
  • Offer programs and employment opportunities which aim to overcome past disadvantage for members of staff, employee and student equity groups
  • Enhance the quality of learning and employment satisfaction for all students through the provision of culturally, socially and gender-inclusive education and training in areas such as curricula, teaching methods, assessment and review processes, teaching materials and support services

If any student feels that the trainer is discriminating against them for any reason, including on the basis of age, ethnicity, medical status, disability, gender or sexuality, contact the Student Support Officer who will act in accordance with the Complaints and Grievances Policy.

InTech is committed to protecting client privacy and confidentiality and recognises the serious responsibility of collecting and maintaining client’s personal information.

InTech collects information about students at the pre-enrolment meeting and from the enrolment form they complete. Once training begins, InTech will keep records of assessments and any certificates issued. Other information that may be retained includes any correspondence or documents provided by the student. For example, if a student wishes to appeal an assessment decision, or make a complaint, InTech will keep copies of these documents as well. Only personal information that has been provided to us, or where a third party has been authorised to provide to us, is retained.

Throughout the duration of students’ studies, InTech may photograph or film students participating in their practical training, student activities and events. These images are used for a variety of purposes including evidence gathering for assessment purposes, marketing, blogs, social media or display in college.

All these records may be seen by government auditors who also act under a Code of Conduct which means they will keep all information confidential.

InTech will comply with relevant legislation in the collection and storage of, and access to, personal information.

Legislation includes the Privacy ACT 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles.

In some cases, as required by law and as required by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) InTech will need to make information available to others, such as the Australian Government’s State, Territory and Commonwealth Agencies.

InTech will provide updates on training outcomes and progress to the relevant authorities as required under its reporting and other obligations.

Unless otherwise indicated, the content of this website is the property of Intech Institute and is protected under with state and federal privacy laws and the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld)

Intech Institute of Technology website ( provides information about the institute, its programs and services. Intech Institute respects the privacy of its online visitors and does not sell or rent any information obtained from its website to any other organization or third party.

When you visit Intech Institute’s website, the server automatically collects a limited amount of information essential for the site’s operation, security and validation purposes. At times we collect certain information when you sign up to our newsletters, or submit a form, and we may also collect information on your browsing history when on our website such as: which resources and pages were browsed, the frequency and duration of your visits, your IP address, searched pages, downloaded material, the name of your Internet Service Provider, operating system, and device used.

This information is used to perform statistical analysis of user trends and interests and to help us make this site more useful to visitors. Intech Institute does make limited use of cookies on its Web server, but not in any manner which could impinge on your privacy. “Cookies” are small text files placed on your computer, to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information in an anonymous form.

We use cookies to:

  • Understand and save user’s preferences for future visits.
  • Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may also use trusted third party services that track this information on our behalf.

When you use Intech Institute website for program or services purposes, such as participating in online courses, requesting services, completing a contact us form, or making payment, the personal information you provide for that program or service will be in compliance with Australian Privacy Principles (APPs), & Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld) and will be used only for the purpose it was collected. The information will be disclosed only in accordance with the provisions of this act.

Use of Information:

Information obtained on this website may be used:

  • to improve our site
  • respond to a request
  • assist your access to particular resources

We will not share personal information gathered on this website with any other parties, except  parties we may reasonably determine is required by law or by governmental authority. It is our intention to protect against improper use of your personal information.  If we plan to collect information for sharing with a third party, this will be clearly stated at the point of collection and you will have the option of declining to provide information.


Intech Institute ( strives to protect information you provide on our website. However, we cannot guarantee that no harmful code will enter Please be aware of the risks associated with using websites. We have provided safeguards for the protection and storage of the personal information you have provided. However, we recommend that you use appropriate and up-to-date firewall and anti-virus software to protect your computer systems.

No part or content of this website may be reproduced, replicated, distributed or transmitted in any form whatsoever or through any means, which includes printing, recording or other electronic methods or any other methods, without prior written permission from the administrator of this website. Users may download material from the website only for their own personal, non-commercial use.

Intech Institute reserves the right to make changes to any information contained on the website at any time whatsoever, and without notice or limitation of any kind, including, but not limited to, information relating to courses, fees, and other related services. Every effort is made to ensure the links are as current and as complete as possible, however due to the consistent process of change on government websites there will inevitably be a small amount of out-of-date or missing content at any point of time.

Our website may have links to external Web pages. Please be aware that the school is not responsible for site content outside our Web site, or the privacy policies of outside. We encourage you to read the individual privacy statements on each website you visit.

Information Acceptance

By using this website, you are accepting all terms and conditions, privacy policies and subject matters to the content that is provided on this website.

Contact us about your privacy concerns  by e-mail at


InTech welcomes open communication and encourages feedback from all stakeholders to ensure that we are providing the highest quality outcomes to students, employers and industry and to guide ongoing improvement of our services.

We invite students and employers to provide by a number of means – through meetings to discuss student concerns, quarterly written reviews, google reviews on our website and informal verbal reviews. We appreciate feedback in regard to your opinions, satisfaction, or other views about InTech’s operations, policies, procedures and training delivery and assessment.

All communication and reviews are recorded, analysed and are used to review its policies and procedures and plan for future improvements.

InTech collects continuous improvement feedback from a range of stakeholders:

  • Students
  • Employers of students
  • Trainers/Assessors
  • Suppliers and contractors
  • InTech staff


Students who successfully complete vocational education during the previous year may also be asked to participate in the Student Outcomes Survey (SOS), which is an annual survey funded by the Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations and conducted by the National Centre for Vocational Education and Research (NCVER).

The aim of the Student Outcomes Survey is to improve the outcomes of vocational education and training (VET) by gathering information on the:

  • Outcomes from training (e.g. employment and further study outcomes)
  • Relevance of the training
  • Benefits of the training
  • Satisfaction with the training
  • Reasons for not continuing the training (where applicable).

The information is used by national and state/territory bodies, along with local training providers, to ensure vocational training is of high quality and relevant to Australian workplaces. The survey highlights both the positive and negative outcomes from training and assists in administering, planning, and evaluating the VET system.

Vocational education and training (VET), in Australia is regulated by a variety of Australian, state and territory laws. Employment, workplace and equity issues are also covered by a range of Australian, state and territory legislation. Where the state or territory and the Australian laws deal with the same situation differently, the Australian law has jurisdiction.


You acknowledge that you must observe InTech’s, OH&S policies and workplace practices as instructed by your Training supervisor including Equal Rights and Equal Opportunity and the Anti – Discrimination Acts. The following legislation must be complied with:

Commonwealth Legislation:

  • Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986
  • Disability Standards for Education 2005
  • Disability Discrimination Act 1992
  • Racial Hatred Act 1995
  • Racial Discrimination Act 1975
  • Sex Discrimination Act 1984
  • Privacy Act and National Privacy Principles 2001
  • Skilling Australia’s Workforce Bill 2005
  • Skilling Australia’s Workforce (Repeal and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2005
  • Australian Child Protection Act 2005
  • Australian Consumer Law Act 2010
  • Privacy Act 1988
  • Workplace Gender Equality Act 2012

 State-Based Legislation:

  • Workers Compensation Regulation 2003
  • Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Regulation 2002
  • Affirmative Action (Equal Employment Opportunity for Women) Act 1986
  • WorkCover Legislation Amendment Act 1996 120
  • Occupational Health and Safety Act 2000 (as amended 2002)
  • NSW Commission for Children and Young People Act 1998
  • Occupational Health and Safety Regulation 2001
  • NSW Anti-discrimination Act 1977
  • Disability Act 2006