All current and new students undertaking a nationally recognised training in Australia must hold a USI (Unique Student Identifier). It is free and easy for students to create their own USIs online. The USI will stay with you for life and will be recorded with any nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training course that is undertaken from January 2015.
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that:
- creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with
- will give you access to your training records and transcripts
- can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
- is free and easy to create and
- stays with you for life
If you do not have a USI, You will not be able to receive recognition for your qualification in Australia.
OK, so let’s apply for your USI
Gather atleast one of following documents before we proceed to the next step: Examples of acceptable forms of ID proof:
- Driver’s License
- Medicare Card
- Australian Passport
- Non-Australian Passport (with Australian Visa)
- Birth Certificate (Australian)
- Certificate Of Registration By Descent
- Citizenship Certificate
- Immi Card
Now let’s progress with the next step:
Visit https://www.usi.gov.au/ and follow the prompts.
IMPORTANT: The personal details entered when a student creates a USI must match exactly with those on their form of ID.
Already have a USI?
Voila! You’re all set. Have your USI number ready while filling your application form.
For more information please visit: usi.gov.au