This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required for employment as a Higher Engineering Tradesperson or a Special Class Engineering Tradesperson (Mechanical) – Level II, Special Class Engineering Tradesperson (Fabrication) – Level II, Special Class Engineering Tradesperson (Electrical/Electronic) – Level II within the metal, engineering, manufacturing and associated industries or at equivalent levels in other industries where Engineering Tradespersons work.
If you have an apprenticeship and are looking to step up your career by becoming the highest level engineering tradesperson, then this program is perfect for you.
You can choose to specialise in one of the following areas:
- fabrication (welding)
This is a leading-edge course focused on current technology. You’ll be prepared to gain entry into technician and supervisor positions in the industry.
In Australia, students successfully graduating from this qualification may receive a median salary of approx. $62,700 per year.
A Certificate IV in Engineering, known as Higher Engineering Trade, is a continuation of a trade course (Certificate III) at a higher level. The course will cover higher level post-trade skills such as computer controlled machining or advanced welding; fluid power; AutoCAD; computer numerical control (CNC); programmable logic control (PLC); mechatronics; machining; tool making; maintenance; metal fabrication,welding design and processes, welding metallurgy, fabrication inspection and workplace safety.
This engineering course enables students to become a qualified Higher Engineering Tradesperson.
This qualification may be accessed by direct entry, Although, It is highly recommended that the student have:
- have satisfactory numeracy and literacy capabilities
- are mature age (over 18 years at the time of commencement)
To be awarded this qualification, competency must be demonstrated by:
- completion of all core units listed below, and
- completion of units from the Group A Specialisation electives to the value of at least 12 points, and
- completion of Group B electives to bring the total value to at least 109 points
MEM12023A Perform engineering measurements
MEM12024A Perform computations
MEM13014A Apply principles of occupational health and safety in the work environment
MEM14004A Plan to undertake a routine task
MEM14005A Plan a complete activity
MEM15024A Apply quality procedures
MEM15002A Apply quality systems
MEM16006A Organise and communicate information
MEM16007A Work with others in a manufacturing, engineering or related environment
MEM16008A Interact with computing technology
MEM17003A Assist in the provision of on the job training
MSAENV272B Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
Timetable: Monday- Thursday, Work placement optional (The timetable for future intakes may differ to the current schedule.
Delivery Method: is a combination classroom delivery (face-to-face) and industry placement (optional). Competencies will be assessed by theory tests, practical tasks and project work. You’ll also produce a portfolio of work.
Delivery Location: This course is delivered on-site at our Brisbane Campus: 21 Parkview Street, Milton, QLD.
Resources provided: Student will receive handouts/learning material relevant to each unit, Safety boots and Intech T-shirt on the induction day. We also recommend that the students wear protective clothing, safety glasses suited to the automotive industry.
Have trade skills and work experience but no formal qualification?
Recognition of Prior Learning is a process of having your work experience and skills formally assessed for the purpose of gaining a nationally recognised and accredited qualification.
Fast track your studies and bridge the gaps in your skill set through the RPL. InTech offers you the chance to take all your experience and turn it into a Certificate IV in Engineering!!
For each unit, candidates will be given the option to demonstrate competency through a combination of any of the following:
- A Portfolio of Evidence which includes:
– Prior Qualifications (accredited and non-accredited)
– Employment History (detailed, positions, performance, appraisals)
– Work samples and other relevant documents (photos, videos, etc.)
– References and testimonials from verifiable sources
– Journals and publications
- Practical testing in the workshop/classroom
- Written/Verbal Testing
- Advanced Mechanical Maintenance Technician
- Advanced Toolmaker
- Fluid Power Systems Technician
- Advanced Metal Fabricator (Structural)
- Higher engineering tradesperson
- Mechanical engineering trade discipline
- Fabrication engineering trade discipline
- Special class welder
- CAD drafter
- NC/CNC machining/plasma profiling
- Specialised welder
- CNC machinist
- Maintenance in hydraulics and pneumatics
- Specialised welding and welding supervision
- Maintenance supervisor
- NC machinist
- Specialised maintenance and supervision
- Hydraulics and pneumatics technician
Fees: AUD 18 ,000-no hidden fee
The student tuition fees as published are subject to change annually given individual circumstances at enrolment and a number of other factors.
If you have difficulty paying the full fee of a course upfront you might be eligible for a payment plan. This allows you to pay for your course either per semester or in monthly installments.
Intake Dates: There are 4 intake dates in a year: Jan-Feb, April-May, July & September-October
See our how to apply section for further guidance.
If you still need help, our student advisor provides first point of contact for student who have applied to Intech Institute. Our dedicated student advisors can help you with any questions you have about the process of applying to us and the current status of your application.
Pathways into the qualification:
Credit may be granted towards this qualification by those who have completed one of the following:
- MEM30205 Certificate III in Engineering – Mechanical Trade,
- MEM30305 Certificate III in Engineering – Fabrication Trade,
- or other relevant qualifications.
Further Progression: Students can progress onto a higher level course within the college. We offer the MEM60112 Advanced Diploma of Engineering Technical or other relevant qualifications.
Credits may also include units of competency contained within relevant skills sets and statements of attainment.